Just about every Sunday beginning in April, our Sunday Salons at the River House Inn on the New River are patterned on the famous international "salons" of the past. While we were never invited to those heady Parisian parties of the twenties and thirties - to hobnob with Hemingway and Gertrude Stein (not to mention Alice B. Toklas!) - the idea of such literary and artistic gatherings sounded appealing. Drop by at 4:00 for food and wine, music and conversation, perhaps a poetry reading or a short play, a book-signing, an exhibit of art or pottery, or an occasional film. Dinner, usually a four-course set menu, follows about 6:00.
SALONS: Bar opens at 3 PM (As does the Gallery across the drive).
Music 4-6 PM
Hors d’Oeuvres at 5 PM
4-Course Chef’s Choice Menu
If you can’t make dinner, you’re welcome to come for the entertainment in the North Carolina mountains and a libation with hors d’oeuvres! But please call 336-982-2109 to reserve.
Emile Pandolfi. Read more about Emile Pandolfi.
Clay Lunsford Jazz Quartet
John Stewart: Pianist, Author, Biographer, Genealogist and Raconteur - "A Life in Music”
Tres Amigos – Justin Poindexter, Sam Reider and Eddie Barbash
Sasha Papernik, Russian pianist and composer
Steve & Ruth Smith: Besides Ruth’s hammered dulcimer and Steve’s fingerstyle acoustic guitar, the Smiths include clawhammer banjo, Appalachian mountain dulcimer, and vocals. Read more on their website.
Lisa Baldwin and Dave Haney: Bluegrass, country, and singer-songwriter material. Read more on their website.
Patrick Lui: Classical Guitar. Read more on his website.
The Tony Williamson Duo: Mandolin and Guitar
The Ardmores: Southern rock, blues and easy listening. Read more on their website.
Wayne Henderson, legendary guitar-picker and luthier - and Helen White, equally legendary musician and founder of JAM, Junior Appalachian Musicians.
The Marie Vanderbeck Trio: Mike Chrzanowski on bass, Ken Broun on piano, vocals and jazz - sweet and sassy
Joyce Rouse: Singer, songwriter, environmentalist. Read more on her website.
Doug Davis: Rock, soul, roots
Tim and Debbie Yates of Acoustic Heritage: bluegrass, country, original singer song writers
Martha Bassett and Patrick Lawrence: Sultry, southern, swing, awesome vocalist
Lee and Susan Terry: Guitar and Viola – acoustic and folk
Wet Paint - Rob Mangum and Dennis Shaw: country, bluegrass, blues, soft rock
Linda Carroll: extraordinary vocalist, with auto-harp or "naked" - folk, labor songs
Aaron Price and Vendetta Crème: Cabaret music at its finest
Bob Child: Flautist, flaunting his amazing flutes
The Lower Brass of the Winston-Salem Moravian Band
Robin Voiers and Bill Voiers in “Love Letters”
Phil ‘n’ the Blanks: soft rock, blues, fun
The Sunday Salons begin at 4:00 PM; hors d’oeuvre at 5:00 PM; more music and a four-course chef's choice menu is served at 6:00 PM. $45 for entertainment, hors d'oeuvre, and dinner.
For information and reservations please call River House 336-982-2109.
Drop by at 4:00 for food and wine and entertainment in the North Carolina mountains, even if you can't stay for dinner. But please call 336-982-2109 to reserve.
Reviews & Comments from our Guests
‘Tis the gift to be simple, ‘tis the gift to be free,
‘Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be.
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
‘Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
-From a 19th Century Shaker song
Quoted by a guest to describe her stay at River House.
- It (the German Wine Dinner) was very well done, and all enjoyed the evening immensely. Thank you, Gayle!
- We unanimously vote that the ethnic/theme dinners are a wonderful idea! We look forward to the next iteration.
- Gayle and River House = good medicine for body & soul.
- Check out Tripadvisor.
- I’ve heard it said that most people will never remember what you may say but will always remember how you make them feel. You make us feel special and you have that Gift of hospitality. Thanks for sharing so much.
- We loved our stay from the comfy comfy bed to the wonderful cocktail followed by a spectacular dinner. Coffee at our door was such a pleasant surprise. We will return.
- No words can adequately express our thanks and appreciation for your fabulous help with the bridal luncheon!! The food for luncheon and wedding was delicious!! Your hospitality is superb!
- I don’t know how many times I’ve been here - but it keeps getting better and better – and I want to be back soon!
- Thanks for a great Bluesfest.
- Thank you for an amazing step back into a slower, more attentive environment. We loved playing Scrabble on the front porch, sipping the greatest whisky ginger, and watching the fireflies light up!